Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What is mixtape?


WHAT IS MIXTAPE??? I often get asked this question.
Well my dear friend Simmone summed it up from the get go way back this time two years ago:

mixtape is a maga(ZINE)
a collision of craft, eco-cool and pop culture kitsch!

Crafty, DIY, living simple (trying), Eco Awareness, Art, Life, Loves, Music, Inspiration, Community...
mixtape is essentially a craft magazine that profiles artists and crafters. We have a tutorial in each issue, we review books, zines, music. We write about popular culture. It is written by like minded souls who want to share their opinions and knowledge. mixtape is written for a niche market, it is not mainstream. I get to choose everything that is put in the mag and we are independently published. It is all done (besides the printing) from our home here in Melbourne in amongst trying to raise a family and keep the house clean. We are about to launch Issue 9 and the reason we have been able to continue to grow/evolve is because YOU get behind us and support our passion. This zine is about a lifestyle choice, all encompassing - I love to create, I love music and my family mean the world to me. I love reading and hearing all about YOUR life as well. Hopefully that's what each and every issue of mixtape does, lets you know that you are not alone and that you are part of a community of like minded people.
My motto is to "Live life in FULL COLOUR!"

You are going to see some changes in the way mixtape looks by the end of this year. I'm doing a bit of forward planning and want to keep you in the loop.
Got any suggestions? Things you like/hate about our zine? Now is your chance to have a say.
Please feel free to email me directly mixtapezine@gmailDOTcom

Justine