Saturday, January 17, 2009

4x4 #11 Leah

Leah is one rockin' lady. I own one of her nongs, he sits proudly in my sewing room. Leah makes stunning quilts & is one witty chick. We featured her as a "crafty lady" in issue four.



What is the name of your blog, and how did you come up with it?


My blog is called Hyena In Petticoats, and the name has an interesting history - when Mary Wollstonecraft (one of the first feminist philosophers) wrote her book "A Vindication of The Rights of Woman" in 1792, she argued that women were not naturally inferior to men, but seemed to be so because they did not share the benefit of the education provided to their male counterparts.

Her book caused a huge stir, and many male critics lashed out - including one Horace Walpole (isn't that a fabulous name?), who called her a "hyena in petticoats"... something I'm sure was awfully denigrating at the time! I always had a penchant for the phrase - and decided to use it when a name change for my blog was necessary in the early days - I haven't looked back since, so I think it must suit me!

2. FOUR random songs on your ipod

I don't actually have an ipod - despite being a total Mac geek, so I'll iTunes it for you instead!

M Ward - One Magic Trick
Bright Eyes - that song with the people crashing in the plane..?
Bob Dylan - It's Alright Ma (I'm only Bleeding)
Led Zeppelin - Ramble On

3. FOUR favorite books/movies
This is an impossible question! eep! But I'll give you two of each :

books:
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Skinny Legs and All - Tom Robbins

movies:
Betty Blue - the whole big long three hour version!
Wings of Desire

4. FOUR things you can't live without

My partner, my cat, my family, and my craft!

**extra** somewhere on the web we must visit NOW!
I have a bit of a thing for found objects.

Leah, we love your style! Thanks so much for taking the time to talk to us.