Sunday, March 22, 2009

weekend knitting

What a fabulous book! It's not often I can start a book review like this, but it isn't often that a book I am given is so filed to the brim with things I love. Fantastic projects and beautifully styled, the contributor list for Melanie Falick's lovely book Weekend Knitting is the who's who of knitting designers including favourites of mine such as Veronik Avery, Debbie Bliss, Ann Budd, Teva Durham and Norah Gaughan (to name but a few).

Featuring 50 projects the book is much more substantial than many pattern books, and even includes a few recipes and thoughts about knitting in a non-project way. The projects are divided into three sections and each features projects that are both small and large, complex and simple.

The home and hearth section has some great twists on simple ideas like these washclothes in the shape of happy flowers.

And I am very taken with these game boards and the knitted draw string bag for keeping the playing pieces safe. What a great gift they would make, and so quick and easy to knit. I think the checkers board may be making a debut in time for Amy's birthday.There is a Flickr group of projects from the book and I notice the lap rug from this section has been very popular.

The next part of the book, body and soul, has adult garments that again range from the big and complex to the small and simple. In particular I love that the projects explore interesting stitches and textures, like this poncho - just love that stitch!
And this very simple scarf uses the brilliant technique of alternating colours between the purl and knit stitches in a rib. There's a neck warmer and hat using the same method and I am just in love with them.

I like these socks too, particularly the wavy picot top edge

By the time I reached the charm of children section I was thinking I had quite enough ideas, but there is plenty to get excited about here too. There are some lovely blankets and garments, but I was especially delighted by this hat. It may well be enough to get me over my aversion to colourwork! And if you aren't so taken with love hearts, there's a version with stars too.

But here's the best yet - and they saved it till the very last project in the book.How cute cute cute are they!

So this is a great book, with exciting projects for both beginners and expereinced knitters. It has an excellent range of types of projects too with homewares, toys, pullovers, scarves, socks, baby wear and all photographed in wonderful warm and natural hues. I am sure it will become a classic in the vein of Last Minute Knitted Gifts and will get good use over many years.