Sunday, December 21, 2008

4x4 #7 Heather Mann Editor/Publisher - CROQ Zine

Heather Mann The inspiration behind mixtape, the whole reason we decided to take the leap of faith in the first place. CROQ is our "sister zine" and we stock the current issue in our shop.
1. What is the name of your blog, and how did you come up with it?
Dollar Store Crafts . I came up with it because I thought it would be fun to showcase crafts that you could make using things from the dollar store. I created the blog on a whim, but it has been really fun to write, and has been getting a great response from readers! I am really enjoying having fairly strict parameters from which to create.


2. FOUR random songs on your ipod
I have a non-ipod mp3 player! I think I'm the only one. I haven't updated it in two years, but:
-Sufjan Stevens: In This Temple as in the Hearts of Man for Whom He Saved the Earth (song is shorter than the title!)
-Mighty Mighty Bosstones: Royal Oil
-The Clash: I'm So Bored With the U.S.A.
-Mates of State: I Know and I Said Forget It


3. FOUR favorite books/movies
-My favorite book is "The Complete Tightwad Gazette" by Amy Dacyczyn - it's about a thousand pages of creative money-saving tips. I've read it about four times. I just keep it on rotation all the time and read a page here and a page there.

-I love the book "Rebel Without a Crew" by Robert Rodriguez. It's a filmmaking diary of the making of his first movie "El Mariachi," from concept, to fund-raising (he was a medical test subject to raise money to make the movie), to completion. It's super-inspirational for indie filmmakers, but more than that, it's a great book about going for your dreams, and how simple and powerful it can be to actually make a reasonable plan and follow through with it.

-I love the "Little House on the Prairie" series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I read that series about every two years, and I seriously think about what the pioneers did EVERY day of my life. I wonder how those women held their homes together out in the wilderness, did all those chores, cooked huge meals for the working men, and took care of toddlers and babies, all at the same time!

-My favorite movie is "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" I love everything about the film: the script, the music, the acting, the setting, the costumes and props. It's a perfect movie. I was lucky enough to have one of those experiences where you go to the theater only knowing one thing about the movie, then having it blow your mind when you see it.


4. FOUR things you can't live without
-Warm beverages, all sorts! I love coffee, tea, chai. I always want something warm in my mug!
-Publishing stuff, on paper or online
-Making stuff
-A kind word here and there


**extra** somewhere on the web we must visit NOW! ...........
For some inspiration, check this out